Medusa

by Roman aka jar

posted by roman, jarhead, kong

Hiho Jungle,

once again I have a finished figure to show.
It is an exchange figure with Robert aka muhani as he did paint the same bust to me. My fault that there are no photos of his finished version yet, but I promise this soon! The bust was limited available via last years Lugdunum figure show. So if you still want to get one it could be pretty though, but remember one is available via our Bananalicious Painting Contest Prize pool.

Some Information about the Medusa via Wikipedia:

"In Greek mythology Medusa (Greek: Μέδουσα (Médousa), "guardian, protectress") was a monster, a Gorgon, generally described as having the face of a hideous human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair. Gazing directly upon her would turn onlookers to stone. Most sources describe her as the daughter of Phorcys and Ceto, though the author Hyginus (Fabulae, 151) interposes a generation and gives Medusa another chthonic pair as parents.

Medusa was beheaded by the hero Perseus, who thereafter used her head as a weapon until he gave it to the goddess Athena to place on her shield."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medusa


I did start this bust a while ago and after Raffa finished his powerful version early last year my own project lost its fascination for the great sculpt of Allan Carrasco. I decided to finish her the way I planned - I would say "common" compared to Raffa's vision.

I tried to bring in her beauty, her age and show that she is a monster by effects on her skin, which I show later on in detail photos. In retroperspective I would say: Finishing her was about wild and joyful painting, not about techniqual aspects, so here and there the technique is lacking in my own eyes.  

Medusa
sculpted by Allan Carrasco ~ 1:10








 Now here is a big photo for you to zoom in. 
Just click the picture to enlarge but don't be scared, pretty big file.
It is also my personal favourite view at the figure.


I told you about my try to show what an old monster this lady is via some texture work in her skin. There is no plan behind these textures. They are done with a brush and I mainly let the colour show me what to do. If an area appeared to show some interesting places I worked on them. Additional I used some clear crackle paint on the snakes to make them look like they are shedding themselves all the time. It is for sure not everybody's taste but I really enjoyed this wild type of painting and texturizing. I try to show you some of my favourite spots that appeared via some big shots and believe these photos are the pure truth - I can't hide my mistakes with the brush on them, but for me there are none :)








Big post for only one figure.
Just a common Medusa. Are you stone yet?

Hope you like her!
Keep on happy painting!
Best Wishes
Roman

Comments:

There are 7 Kommentare for Medusa

Post a Comment